Steven advises on financial services and fintech, with a particular focus on digital assets regulation and disputes. Steven represents leading financial institutions, fintechs, digital currency exchanges, startups and DeFi projects, token and NFT issuers, venture capital and funds. He has 14 years’ experience as a start-up founder and litigation specialist. Steven has a rare combination of commercial, legal and entrepreneurial skills. He adopts a highly commercial approach and is focused on helping clients to navigate regulatory complexity and achieve commercial outcomes.
Steven has experience with commercial contracts, corporate law, disputes, financial services and cryptocurrency regulation, regulatory investigations, and enforcement. He has advised on fraud investigations, insider trading, market manipulation, cyber frauds and asset recovery, IP theft, mis-selling, governance and directors’ duties, AML/CTF and sanctions issue. His experience includes advising on regulatory investigations involving ASIC as well as the DOJ, CFTC, MAS, HKMA, SFC and the FCA. He has acted on litigation before the UK Supreme Court and in the Hong Kong and Australian Courts. Steven also advises on arbitration and has experience in relation to international arbitration, investment treaty disputes, interim relief and enforcement of arbitral awards.
Steven trained at a Magic Circle law firm in London and worked for one of Australia’s leading disputes practices prior to joining Piper Alderman. His previous experience includes:
- cyber-frauds, freezing injunctions, disclosure orders and asset recovery proceedings;
- a multi-jurisdictional regulatory investigation involving alleged manipulation of foreign exchange markets;
- a regulatory investigation involving a fintech company concerning its marketing representations and collections practices;
- regulatory investigations and disputes relating to the handling of client securities;
- shareholder disputes involving allegations of oppression and breaches of directors’ duties;
- a contractual interpretation dispute before the UK Supreme Court;
- an internal investigation involving alleged fraud by a senior employee;
- disputes relating to the alleged theft of proprietary information; and
- various complex securities and insolvency disputes arising from the collapse of Lehman Brothers.
Steven also has experience as a start-up founder and previously ran a Delaware incorporated Public Benefit Corporation. Steven is qualified and has practised in Australia, Hong Kong and England & Wales.