Shane is a Partner at Piper Alderman. He is a nationally recognised leader in employment, industrial relations and workplace health and safety law. He is also skilled in commercial and governance law, and acts as a General Counsel for some clients.
He started his legal career with Freehills, and has subsequently held senior roles with Downer and BHP across coal, base metals, iron ore and petroleum, for operations and expansion projects. He has clients in most industries including mining, mineral exploration, mining services, energy, engineering, construction, power, transport, retail, air and sea ports, government, maritime, education and agriculture.
Shane is a trusted advisor to executives and boards. Shane regularly deals with complex industrial relations strategy and bargaining matters, having led some very substantial industrial reform projects involving the FWC and court litigation. He advises on sensitive departures, settles disputes and conducts investigations.
Shane leads a proactive workplace health and safety law team nationally with a deep capability and experience. His team educates boards and senior officers on strategy, legal compliance, designs and reviews systems, conducts audits and investigations, conducts deep dives and benchmarking processes, critical response processes, education, legal representation and support for employers during serious accidents and in prosecutions. He has also acted for regulators in prosecutions of companies.
Shane is a member of the firm’s Strategic Leadership Group and is a Head of Office. He is a Director of Crime Stoppers. He designed and taught the unit Legal Strategy in Organisations at Murdoch University and is the co-author of a book on the management of FIFO operations in mining.
“Shane is strategic, driven and technically strong in employment, discrimination, industrial and health and Safety law. I have enjoyed working with him on a number of projects over the past 15 years and have always found him to be a strong lawyer and business leader who possesses excellent influencing, coaching and strategic advising skills.”
Client Testimony: Ben Bradley, GM Human Resources, Operations at APA Group
‘A standout individual is Shane Entriken. Shane gives up his time selflessly and tirelessly for the good of the community. His approach to problem-solving is exceptionally comforting to clients.”
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific: Labour and Employment, 2023 – Testimonial
- Doyle’s Guide – Leading Employment Lawyers (Employer Representation) – Western Australia, 2022 edition
- Adjunct Professor, designed and taught the subject Legal Strategy in Organisations at Murdoch University
- Co-Author of book, Managing FIFO operations
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific – Recommended for Labour and Employment, 2023 edition
Recent deals and media coverage
- ‘This is only the start’ for Piper Alderman in Perth – Lawyers Weekly, 26 June 2022
- Piper Alderman a ‘natural fit’ for clients out west – Lawyers Weekly, 4 April 2022
- Shane Entriken is concentrating on building up the firm’s new Perth office – Australasian Lawyer, 13 December 2021
- Piper Alderman opens doors in Perth – Australasian Lawyer, 6 July 2021
- Pipers raids Perth firm for new office – The Australian, 1 July 2021 (paywall)
- Piper Alderman opens Perth office – The Advertiser, 1 July 2021 (paywall)
- Piper Alderman takes next step towards national presence – Legal Practice Intelligence, 1 July 2021
- Piper Alderman’s national expansion heads west – indaily, 1 July 2021
- Piper Alderman goes west – Lawyers Weekly, 30 June 2021
- Law Society of Western Australia
- Board Member, Crime Stoppers WA – creator of Safe2Say
- Member, Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Member, Association of Mining and Exploration Companies (AMEC) Workplace Health and Safety Law Reform Committee
- Member, Pastoralist and Graziers (WA) and AgForce (Qld)
- Member, FINSIA
22 March 2022
A FIFO Tale: Tell him he’s dreamin’: Employer liable for sleepwalker who urinates on co-workerRead More
22 March 2022
Webinar Q&As: Employment Relations National Seminar Series | Bullying, Discrimination and HarassmentRead More
01 March 2022
Employment Relations Podcast #24 – Special Edition: Contract is King – the High Court decisions...Read More
22 February 2022
Webinar Q&As: Beat the Clock | Substantive Law – Workplace Lessons from the PandemicRead More
14 February 2022
Employment Relations Podcast #23 – Recent Round-Up of Covid-19 Vaccination DecisionsRead More
11 February 2022