Michael specialises in corporate and personal insolvency law and is recognised as one of Australia’s leading insolvency lawyers.
He acts regularly for banks, financial institutions and other secured lenders providing advice in relation to the security enforcement. He acts for insolvency practitioners in all types of personal and corporate business restructuring and insolvency administrations.
Michael is regularly engaged to act for companies and directors providing advice on the restructuring of distressed businesses. He has acted in some of Australia’s most high profile bankruptcy administrations.
With over twenty years’ experience acting in insolvency matters, Michael mixes his high level of technical skills with his commercial experience in identifying and achieving the optimal outcome for his clients. In workouts and restructuring, Michael will set out the framework for a successful restructure and then work closely with our commercial and property teams on execution of the plan. Michael is also regularly involved in the bringing and defending of a wide range of insolvency actions including preference claims, insolvent trading and avoidance of property transfers. Michael is regularly engaged to assist in the forensic investigation through the undertaking of public examinations of directors and related parties.
Michael was National Chair of the Law Council’s Insolvency and Reconstruction Committee between 2014 and 2015, and prior to that, Chair of the Victorian Committee (from 2011). As a long standing member of that committee, he has actively participated in the reform of the insolvency law and has given evidence to several parliamentary inquiries.
He is the author of Chapter 4.7 of the LexisNexis publication Personal Property Securities in Australia on “Agricultural Security Interests”. He is regularly invited to speak at leading industry conferences.
‘Michael Lhuede is bright and astute on all matters and offers practical advice each time. I never have to question Michael’s judgement on how to approach a matter.’
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific: Restructuring and insolvency, 2020 edition – Testimonials
‘Michael Lhuede – very knowledgeable and has a willingness and ability to assist.’
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific: Restructuring and insolvency, 2022 edition – Testimonials
- The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific – Recommended for Restructuring and insolvency – since 2013 – 2023 editions
- Best Lawyers in Australia – Insolvency and Reorganization “Lawyer of the Year” (Melbourne, AU) – 2012 edition
- Best Lawyers in Australia – Recognised for Insolvency and Reorganization Law (Melbourne, AU) – Since 2009 edition
- Doyle’s Guide – Leading Insolvency & Restructuring Lawyers – Australia, 2015 – 2021
- Doyle’s Guide – Leading Insolvency & Restructuring Lawyers – Victoria, 2012 – 2022
- Doyle’s Guide – Leading Commercial Litigation & Dispute Resolution Lawyers – Victoria, 2023
Recent deals and media coverage
Directors’ responsibilities – what your client needs to know – CPA Australia, October 2022
- Law Council of Australia, Insolvency and Reconstruction Committee – Former National Chair
- Law Council of Australia, Insolvency and Reconstruction Committee – Former Victorian Chair
- Fellow Member, Australian Restructuring, Insolvency and Turnaround Association (ARITA)
09 April 2020
COVID-19 Webinar Q&As: Coronavirus cesilience and recovery – Legal responses to COVID-19Read More
31 March 2020
Trading in the time of pandemic – What directors need to know about the new...Read More
27 October 2014