Shannon has been providing specialist legal advice and services to financial services providers for over 35 years. He acts for banks, mutual banks, credit unions, building societies and others operating within the sector, and he has deep experience in relation to the regulatory environment within which they operate. Shannon also has specialist experience in relation to mutual financial institutions.
The areas in relation to which Shannon practices include:
- regulatory compliance, particularly in relation to retail financial services (including credit)
- corporate governance
- mergers and acquisitions (financial services)
- commercial arrangements
- delivery channels and electronic commerce
- commercial and specialist lending transactions
- enforcement of credit contracts and securities
- dispute resolution (internal and external) and litigation.
Shannon has an outstanding reputation for his expertise in relation to the documenting, delivery and marketing of retail financial services. He works closely with many clients in relation to product development and the drafting of terms, conditions and other template documents.
Shannon has many years of experience in relation to corporate governance, both as an external adviser and as a company director, and in both the for-profit and not-for profit sectors. He is a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors, and his past appointments include being the Chairman of World Vision Australia and a Director of World Vision International.
- Best Lawyers in Australia – Recognised for Banking and Finance Law (Adelaide, AU) – Since 2020 edition
- Best Lawyers in Australia – Recognised for Corporate/Governance Practice (Adelaide, AU) – Since 2019 edition
- Doyle’s Guide – Leading Banking & Finance Lawyers – South Australia, 2016 to 2018 editions
- The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific: Australia – Recommended for Financial services regulatory – 2022 edition
Recent deals and media coverage
- Piper Alderman takes team from Hunt & Hunt – Lawyers Weekly, 15 January 2016
- Fellow, Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Former Chairman, World Vision Australia
- Former Director, World Vision International
- Deputy Chair – Financial Services Committee, Law Council of Australia – Business Law Section
17 March 2022
Ukraine conflict sparks sanctions warning for Australian financial services entitiesRead More
06 May 2020
COVID-19 changes – Corporations Act provisions in relation to meetings, and electronic execution by companies...Read More
21 February 2020