Maria is a leading commercial lawyer with expertise in the Australian transport industry.
Maria regularly advises government, transport operators, manufacturers and suppliers within the transport and logistics industry in relation to major Government contracts, procurement processes, supply agreements, due diligence and OHS issues. She has extensive experience in drafting and advising on Government passenger service contracts throughout Australia and is considered an expert on Government contracts in the transport industry.
Recently, Maria has advised her clients on the introduction of zero emission vehicles into their operations and zero emission charging infrastructure into transport depots. Her work includes reviewing variations to existing passenger service contracts, drafting supply agreements, drafting agreements with energy providers and negotiating purchase or lease agreements with OEMs for the zero emission vehicles. She has a keen interest in this area and is keeping a close eye on this innovation which is rapidly changing the transport industry.
She also has significant experience in negotiating and advising on complex M&A transactions by way of asset and/or share sale throughout Australia. She is particularly sought out for her industry knowledge which is an advantage for her clients while doing due diligence and obtaining consent for the transaction from Government and other third parties.
In her role in advising operators and suppliers, Maria has been engaged to provide advice on a variety of property issues in relation to transport depots and relevant infrastructure.
Maria is highly regarded for her legal skills as well as her understanding of the commercial realities that her clients face.
‘‘Maria Capati is a wonderful asset to Piper Alderman. Her knowledge regarding the transport industry, specifically the bus and coach industry, is second-to-none.’
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific: Corporate and M&A, 2023 edition – Testimonials
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific – Key Lawyer for Corporate and M&A, 2023 edition
Recent deals and media coverage
- Rover Coaches sold to Buslines Group – Lawyers Weekly, 18 December 2022
- ComfortDelGro Corp.’s A$6.75 Million Acquisition of Rothery’s Coaches – Global Legal Chronical, 5 July 2022
- Young’s Bus Service sells to ComfortDelGro Corporation Australia – Lawyers Weekly, 24 November 2021
- Piper Alderman reveals 17 mid-year promos – Lawyers Weekly, 25 June 2018
- Piper Alderman makes 17 promotions – Australasian Lawyer, 24 June 2018
- Queensland Bus Industry Council (QBIC)
- Bus & Coach Association NSW (BusNSW)
- Bus Industry Confederation (BIC)
- Tasmanian Bus Association (TasBus)
- Bus & Coach Association SA (Bus SA)
- Commercial Law Association
26 September 2022
Frustration of contract due to COVID-19: Special leave to the high court grantedRead More
23 September 2022
Formula One contract dispute demonstrates the importance of finalising your contractsRead More
17 January 2022
We’re still dealing with COVID-19 and now a shortage of AdBlue – time to consider...Read More
18 January 2021
Wanting to collaborate with another NFP? Is a Head Agency Agreement right for your arrangement?Read More
18 January 2021
Wanting to collaborate with another NFP? Is a Memorandum of Understanding or Heads of Agreement...Read More
02 April 2015