Meriel is an internationally recognised dispute resolution and litigation lawyer with expertise in domestic and international arbitrations, mediations and expert determinations.
As a leading advisor in the energy, mining and life sciences and healthcare sectors, she has also worked in London, the Caribbean and is highly experienced in the Australian court system having practised in both Sydney and Perth.
Meriel assists clients at the contract drafting and negotiation stage of a transaction in order to put them in the best position to avoid a future dispute.
Meriel has a broad range of disputes experience, advising on gas pricing disputes, joint venture disputes and complex contractual disputes. She also regularly advises clients about corporate and minority shareholder disputes and on acquisitions by scheme of arrangement.
In addition to holding a First Class Honours Degree in Law, Meriel is a Graduate of the Australian Institute of Company Directors’ Company Directors course.
Meriel holds a number of board positions including Director of the Australian British Chamber of Commerce (WA Branch), Director of Telethon Community Cinemas and Director of Australia-Africa Minerals & Energy Group (AAMEG). She is also a mentor with Mentor Walks and an active member of Business Women Australia and the British Business Network.
- Best Lawyers in Australia – Recognised for Litigation (Perth, AU) – Since 2020 edition
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific – Recommended for Dispute Resolution: Litigation, 2023 edition
Recent deals and media coverage
- Appointments August 5, 2022 – Business News, 5 August 2022 (paywall)
- Piper Alderman nabs litigation partner from Mills Oakley – Lawyerly, 28 July 2022 (paywall)
- Piper Alderman to welcome Mills Oakley partner – Australasian Lawyer, 27 July 2022
- Piper Alderman appoints dispute resolutions partner – Lawyers Weekly, 25 July 2022
- Director, Australian British Chamber of Commerce (WA Branch)
- Director, Telethon Community Cinemas
- Director, Australia-Africa Minerals & Energy Group (AAMEG)
- Mentor, Mentor Walks
- Member, Business Women Australia
- Member, British Business Network
- Member, Australian Institute of Company Directors