With over 30 years’ experience, Robert provides front and back end legal services and education for developers, contractors, owners corporations, consultants and dispute resolution professionals.
Robert has a long history of advising on soft and hard infrastructure projects, including ports, power, education, telecommunications, mining and agribusiness projects and leverages off a wide range of specialised legal skills available to him through the robust Piper Alderman network.
He is regularly involved in tendering, negotiating and documenting: MOUs, HoAs, consortium deeds, project agreements, shareholder or JV agreements EPCs, EPCMs, design and construct and other service procurement, finance and consultancy agreements.
As a leading practitioner in security of payment in NSW, Robert is active in the Technology and Construction Lists in the Supreme Court. He is also increasingly acting for clients in commercial arbitrations, and the enforcement of awards, both domestically and overseas.
Robert has been an accredited Security of Payment adjudicator since 2003. In 2005, he was appointed to Master Builders Association’s Legal and Contracts Committee. In 2015, he was appointed Honorary Patron of the Institute of Building Consultants in New South Wales. In 2018 he was elected Chair of the Resolution Institute’s Sydney Determinative Professional Development Group, accrediting adjudicators, expert determiners and arbitrators and designing and rolling out their ongoing professional education programs.
In June 2020 Robert was recognised by Resolution Institute as a Grade 3 arbitrator.
Robert Riddell is ‘outstanding’ and someone who ‘thinks very commercially’.
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific: Australia – Construction
- The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific – Recommended for Construction – 2018-2019 editions
- Chambers and Partners Asia-Pacific: Australia – Recognised Practitioner for Construction – 2019 edition
Recent deals and media coverage
- Piper Alderman snags partner and special counsel from Dentons – Australasian Lawyer, 21 August 2017
- Chair, Resolution Institute – Sydney Determinative Professional Development Group
- Member, Master Builders Association’s Legal and Contracts Committee
- Foundation Member, Master Builders Association’s Authorised Nominating Authority Committee
- Member, Law Society of Papua New Guinea
- Member, Institute of Arbitrators and Mediators Australia
19 July 2019
Significant NSW Security of Payment amendments to apply to contracts entered into on or after...Read More
02 December 2018
New Directors’ and Officers’ exposure to personal liability under Security of Payment Legislation in NSWRead More
02 October 2018