Tim is the Joint Head of the Melbourne Office and has extensive experience in intellectual property protection and commercialisation, and IT and telecommunications contracts, as well as commercial agreements, franchising, data protection, privacy and competition and consumer law.
Tim has experience in advising on all aspects of intellectual property protection, its commercialisation and enforcement and disputes. Tim assists clients with management of intellectual property portfolios in Australia and overseas including trade mark filings, prosecution and oppositions in Australia and overseas. A significant proportion of Tim’s work is in biotechnology and other high technology industries. This work includes drafting and negotiating complex licence and technology transfer agreements, clinical trial agreements, research and development agreements, collaboration agreements, manufacturing and quality agreements, and marketing agreements.
Tim has extensive experience advising IT and telecommunications service providers, as well as government and corporate clients procuring, software (including software development), software-as-a-service, IT services and telecommunications services.
Tim advises clients on data protection and privacy legislation including privacy policies and statements, data collection practices, data sharing arrangements and mandatory data breach notification. He assists public sector and private sector clients operating or entering into Australia as well as organisations operating overseas.
Tim has a Bachelor of Laws (Honours), Master of Laws and a Bachelor of Science, all from the University of Melbourne.
Tim Clark leads [the IT team] at Piper Alderman [which] provides a ‘consistently high level of service’, is ‘responsive, commercial’ and provides ‘good value for money’. [The team] is ‘excellent at understanding its clients’ business needs’ and is appreciated for its ‘great value for money and innovative service’.
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific: Australia – Intellectual Property and Technology, 2021 edition
‘Our partner Tim Clark has taken the time and interest to intimately understand our business and our highly specialised industry, and this makes for rapid consideration and response to our legal matters.’
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific: Australia – Intellectual Property and Technology, 2022 edition
- Best Lawyers in Australia – Recognised for Education Law (Melbourne, AU) – Since 2021 edition
- Best Lawyers in Australia – Recognised for Privacy and Data Security Law (Melbourne, AU) – Since 2022 edition
- Legal 500 Asia-Pacific – Recommended Lawyer for Intellectual Property – Since 2013 – 2022 edition
- Legal 500 Asia-Pacific – Recommended Lawyer for Technology, Media & Communications – 2014 to 2016
- Legal 500 Asia-Pacific – Recommended Lawyer for Data protection – 2022 edition
- Doyle’s Guide – Recommended Lawyer for Technology, Media & Telecommunications – Vic, 2018
- Lawyers Weekly Australian Law Awards – Finalist for Intellectual Property Team of the Year – 2016
Recent deals and media coverage
- Law firm merger 1 year on – Lawyers Weekly, 27 November 2018
- Licensing Executives Society
- Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand
- Law Institute of Victoria
16 August 2022
Who owns what? Why life sciences companies need intellectual property policiesRead More
30 September 2021
COVID-19 testing at home: new regulation to allow rapid antigen self-testsRead More
30 August 2021
COVID-19 rapid antigen tests: complying with advertising and supply requirementsRead More
09 May 2019
Repeal of s51(3) of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth): It might be time...Read More
05 September 2018
Stay in your speed lane – a further warning to retail carriage service providers about...Read More
03 June 2015