Gordon Grieve is Chairman of Partners, former Managing Partner and former Head of Dispute Resolution & Litigation. He also heads up the firms Energy & Resources and International Groups. He has a reputation in the market as an innovative, pragmatic and commercially astute litigator and commercial lawyer.
Gordon has high level experience in both the private and public sectors across all facets of major corporate transactions and commercial litigation. He advises on corporate governance and compliance issues, company takeovers and schemes of arrangement. Gordon has appeared in and instructed in large scale commercial litigation in New South Wales, Queensland, Victoria and South Australia. He has acted successfully in a number of defences of high profile white collar crime prosecutions in respect to the Corporations Act.
Gordon also co-authored the Australian chapter of Litigation Funding – Getting the Deal Through. The publication compares the legal and practical issues to third-party litigation around the world.
Previously Gordon was the Commissioner for Corporate Affairs in South Australia, and until 1999 he was the Deputy Chairman of the Brisbane-based Australian Financial Institution Commission before its functions were transferred to APRA.
‘Exceptionally talented litigator’
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific 2020: Australia – Dispute Resolution: Litigation
“He’s got a very strong connection and he’s got vast experience as a litigator.”
Client testimonial – Acritas Stellar Performance 2021 Stand-out Talent
‘Wide experience in the sector through Grieve (Sydney), and Steele (Brisbane). All practitioners are widely known in, and have a deep knowledge of, the oil and gas sector.’
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific 2020: Australia – Energy (Transactions and Regulatory)
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific 2019: Australia – Dispute Resolution: Litigation
The ‘highly experienced, tactically astute’ Gordon Grieve has ‘good instincts’ and is ‘an outstanding practitioner’.
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific 2018: Australia – Dispute Resolution: Litigation
“The ‘enormously experienced’ Gordon Grieve has ‘good instincts’”
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific 2014: Australia – Dispute Resolution: Litigation
Recent deals and media coverage
- National firm marks 20 years in Sydney – Lawyers Weekly, 23 March 2018
- Best Lawyers in Australia – Recognised for Energy Law (Sydney, AU) – 2023 edition
- The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific: Australia – Recommended for Dispute resolution: litigation – Since 2014 edition – 2023 edition
- The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific: Australia – Recommended for Energy (transactions and regulatory) – 2023 edition
- Thomson Reuters “Acritas Star” 2021 – Independently rated lawyer
- Non-Executive Director, Galilee Energy Limited
- NSW Division of Companies and Business Law Section, Law Council of Australia
- Australian Institute of Company Directors (AICD)
- International Bar Association
- Law Society of New South Wales
- Queensland Law Society
- Law Society of South Australia
04 March 2020
Lexology Getting the Deal Through – Litigation Funding: Australia, 2020 EditionRead More
20 October 2015