Joel specialises in commercial disputes, restructuring and corporate and personal insolvencies.
He has extensive experience acting for Government in active creditor programs and regulatory matters, banks and non-bank lenders with security enforcement and unsecured recoveries, insolvency practitioners in formal restructures and insolvency appointments, and directors of distressed companies where his focus is on early and meaningful intervention to shape the best possible outcome through the restructuring or insolvency process.
He also acts in complex commercial litigation (disputes involving securities and priorities, consumer protection, contracts, director duties, and equity) and has a special interest in alternative dispute resolution (either informally or through formal processes). Joel also has extensive experience in managing volume recoveries for institutional lenders and credit providers.
Joel has particular experience with insolvency appointments or commercial disputes across the real estate, government, mining and resources, finance and tourism sectors.
Recent deals and media coverage
- Piper Alderman grows restructuring and insolvency partnership to eight – Australasian Lawyer, 15 April 2021
- Piper Alderman adds restructuring and insolvency partner – Lawyers Weekly, 11 April 2021
- Career Moves: Piper Alderman – Proctor, 8 April 2021
- Member, Australian Restructuring Insolvency & Turnaround Association (ARITA)
- Member, Banking & Financial Services Law Association (BFSLA)