Martin is a leading projects, infrastructure and finance lawyer and national head of the firm’s Projects, Infrastructure & Construction practice team and co-head of its Energy team.
Martin regularly advises developers, government and contractors in relation to major infrastructure, defence and energy projects, joint ventures and business structuring. He also works closely with sponsors and financial institutions on project finance and development transactions.
Recently, Martin has acted on the development, acquisition and funding of large scale grid-connected battery projects, wind and solar farms, district energy schemes, resources projects, ports, gas pipelines and water and electricity transmission infrastructure.
Martin is highly regarded for his technical skills, including his expertise in Personal Property Securities law and trusts law. He is a committee member of the Australian Institute of Energy (AIE), member of the Financial Services Committee of the Law Council of Australia and holds a Master of Law with first class honours from the University of Cambridge. Martin also lectures at Flinders University and is a regular contributor to Thomson Reuters, LexisNexis and legal journals.
Martin has been recognised in Chambers and Partners Asia-Pacific where he was described as “an excellent communicator [who is] able to distil complex issues into clear, simple advice” and in the IFLR 1000 as “highly professional, diligent and practical.” In the 2020 edition of the Legal 500 Asia Pacific, Martin is described as a ‘magic circle quality’ lawyer.
- Best Lawyers in Australia – Commercial Law “Lawyer of the Year” (Adelaide, AU) – 2020 edition
- Best Lawyers in Australia – Project Finance and Development Practice “Lawyer of the Year” (Adelaide, AU) – 2020 edition
- Best Lawyers in Australia – Recognised for Commercial Law (Adelaide, AU) – Since 2019 edition
- Best Lawyers in Australia – Recognised for Project Finance and Development Practice (Adelaide, AU) – Since 2014 edition
- Best Lawyers in Australia – Recognised for Structured Finance Law (Adelaide, AU) – Since 2014 edition
- Doyle’s Guide – ‘Leading’ Banking & Finance Lawyer – Since 2012
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific: Australia – Recommended for Construction – 2020 & 2021 editions
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific: Australia – Recommended for Energy (transactions and regulatory) – 2020 & 2021 editions
Recent deals and media coverage
- ‘Stop trying to sound like a lawyer,’ Piper Alderman partner says – Australasian Lawyer, 22 October 2020
- Matthews Hospitality advised on acquisition, restructure – Lawyers Weekly, 30 September 2020
- ElectraNet finalises $180m power contract – Lawyers Weekly, 13 November 2018
- Pipers bolsters corporate and financial services team – Lawyers Weekly, 29 March 2018
- Projects and finance partner moves firms – Australasian Lawyer, 6 February 2018
- Australian Institute of Energy (AIE)
- Banking & Financial Services Law Association (BFLSA)
- Law Council of Australia – Financial Services Committee and PPSA Sub-Committee
- SACOME Infrastructure Committee
- Flinders University of South Australia, Adjunct Lecturer
- University of Adelaide, GDLP Lecturer
22 July 2021
UPDATE: Construction Pause in South Australia – Reopening construction for Targeted Essential State InfrastructureRead More
21 July 2021
Generator slapped with $1.1 million in penalties for failing to obtain approval for the factory...Read More
03 June 2021
Wait your turn! Renewable projects at risk of “one at a time” sequencing protocols for...Read More
29 October 2020