Mike practices in commercial litigation and dispute resolution and has done so for more than 25 years. He has extensive experience in corporate and commercial litigation across various jurisdictions in both Federal and State Courts, as both solicitor and counsel. He acts for a wide range of clients including corporations, firms and individuals. Mike’s experience in commercial litigation provides him with a sound background and understanding of commercial risk. He works closely with clients to achieve commercial and cost effective outcomes.
Mike is a leading insolvency, recoveries and restructuring practitioner. He acts for liquidators, receivers and trustees nationally (and previously abroad) in all aspects of personal and corporate insolvency and restructuring. Mike also acts for directors in defending insolvent trading claims and creditors in respect of voidable transaction claims. Mike’s experience in acting for stakeholders on both sides of voidable transaction claims provides him with a firm platform to negotiate with stakeholders and achieve commercial outcomes. He is a Fellow of the Australian Restructuring Insolvency & Turnaround Association.
Mike has a keen interest in governance and advises directors on potential liability issues and assists directors in navigating companies in financial difficulties.
Mike has a B.Juris, LLB, M(Com) Law and a Graduate Certificate in Insolvency and Restructuring.
‘Mike Hayes always has an opinion and is happy to share without having to research everything in depth. He thinks on his feet and adapts his style to the required situation.‘
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific: Restructuring and insolvency, 2020 edition – Testimonials
‘Mike Hayes and Antony Disciscio are exceptional practitioners who are both extremely knowledgeable on the law, and the commercial realities of our profession, working collaboratively to identify and implement effective and efficient legal strategies.’
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific: Restructuring and insolvency, 2023 edition – Testimonials
- The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific – Recommended for Restructuring and insolvency, 2019 – 2023 editions
- Doyle’s Guide – Recommended for Leading Commercial Litigation & Dispute Resolution Lawyers – South Australia, 2021 – 2023 editions
- Doyle’s Guide – Recommended for Leading Insolvency & Restructuring Lawyers – South Australia, 2021 – 2023 editions
Recent deals and media coverage
- Insolvency stats: SA bucking national trend – The Cairns Post, 7 July 2021
- Oil price, interest rate hikes expected to tip companies over the edge – The Daily Telegraph, 8 March 2022
- Graduate, Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Former Chairperson & Current Member- SA/NT Division Committee, Australian Restructuring Insolvency & Turnaround Association
- Law Council – Business Law Section, Insolvency
- Law Society – Federal Litigation and Dispute Resolution, Federal Court Liaison
- Executive, Vice-President, Australian Restructuring Insolvency and Turnaround Association
- Practitioner Conduct Committee (Deputy Chair)
- Membership Committee
- Board Member, Rugby Union South Australia
- Governance and Risk Committee (Chair)
- Executive, South Australian Rugby Union Referees Association
- Womens Delegate & Junior Youth Delegate
08 September 2021
Insolvency – The impact of unreconciled accounts and funds available to a directorRead More
27 July 2021
The impact of the Harman undertaking on the use of documents by an “eligible applicant”...Read More
01 November 2020