Mike practices in commercial litigation and dispute resolution and has done so actively for more than 20 years. He has extensive experience in complex commercial litigation across various jurisdictions in both Federal and State Courts, as both solicitor and counsel. He acts for a wide range of clients including corporations, firms and private individuals. He has a sound understanding of commercial risk and his experience enables him to work closely with clients to achieve commercial and cost effective outcomes. His litigation practice covers a range of fields including banking and finance, construction, corporate governance, insolvency and taxation.
He also accepts appointments as an independent lawyer in supervising the execution of search orders.
Mike has particular experience in insolvency, recoveries and restructuring. He acts for liquidators, receivers and trustees nationally (and previously abroad) in all aspects of personal and corporate insolvency and turnaround. He also acts for directors in defending insolvent trading claims, and also assists directors to navigate their way through a financial crisis. His experience in issuing and defending voidable transaction claims provides a clear understanding of the competing interests and allows him to negotiate with stakeholders to achieve commercial outcomes. He has been involved in complex insolvency administrations and liquidations across a range of industries including hospitality, manufacturing, pharmaceutical and retail.
‘Mike Hayes always has an opinion and is happy to share without having to research everything in depth. He thinks on his feet and adapts his style to the required situation.‘
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific: Restructuring and insolvency, 2020 edition – Testimonials
- The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific – Recommended for Restructuring and insolvency – since 2019
- Graduate, Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Former Chairperson & Fellow Member – SA/NT Division Committee, Australian Restructuring Insolvency & Turnaround Association (ARITA)
- Law Council: Business Law Section, Insolvency
- Law Council: Federal Litigation and Dispute Resolution, Federal Court Liaison
- Board Member: Australian Restructuring Insolvency and Turnaround Association
- Board Member: Rugby Union South Australia