John is a leading projects, energy, infrastructure and engineering services lawyer in the firm’s Projects and Construction practice team.
John has gained significant experience both in Australia and the UK in the delivery of major infrastructure projects across a range of industries, with particular expertise in the mining, electricity, utilities and infrastructure sectors. Prior to joining Piper Alderman, John spent 10 years in senior in-house legal positions for significant construction and energy companies delivering major projects across Australia.
John has recognised proficiency in the preparation and negotiation of connection agreements, supply arrangements, construction related agreements including EPC, design and construction, procurement, equipment supply contracts, operation and maintenance agreements, ECI, alliance and partnering arrangements and other related project documents.
He advises on all aspects of project delivery from project planning and strategy, project structuring and procurement options, risk assessment and allocation, tendering and bid preparation and assessment, contract preparation, negotiation and administration.
John has a strong track record of advising developers, project owners, contractors and in-house legal teams to assist them to deliver pragmatic and solution focused outcomes.
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific – Australia, Recommended Lawyer for Energy (transactions and regulatory), 2021 edition
- Doyle’s Guide – Recommended Lawyer for Front End Construction & Infrastructure – SA, 2021
Recent deals and media coverage
- Committee Member – Industrial Property, Infrastructure and Logistics Committee (SA) – Property Council of Australia
- Member – AMPLA
- Member – Society of Construction Law Australia (SOCLA)
- Member – Law Society of South Australia
- Past National Board Member and State Vice President of the Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC/ACLA)