Andrea specialises in financial services, banking and corporate law.
Andrea brings legal capability and insight into regulatory matters, corporate governance, compliance and risk management. She assists her clients to adapt to the changing regulatory landscape to ensure they meet the expectations of their customers and shareholders and regulators.
Andrea’s expertise extends to designing and conducting a broad range of financial services training for financial services providers, their senior executives and responsible managers, legal & compliance officers, consumer advocates and lawyers.
Andrea advises domestic and foreign institutions on acquiring financial services and credit licences and exemptions. She specialises in advising on structuring and establishing financial services and credit businesses including licence obligations, drafting plain English documents, procedures, systems audits and online web application processes. She also advises on regulatory compliance projects and audits, regulatory enforcement defences, and regulator investigations and disputes.
Andrea’s experience includes advising clients on financial products and channels, including FinTech solutions, peer to peer lending platforms, crowd funding, payment systems, crypto currency, reward programs, gift cards and financial services acquisitions, disposals and alliances.
Andrea also has in-depth knowledge of privacy laws and regularly advises clients on data and privacy security and breach remediation.
Andrea has been appointed an AUSTRAC authorised external AML/CTF auditor, regularly developing and conducting independent reviews of AML/CTF programs.
Andrea regularly conducts training programs and full day workshops for clients including Australian Credit Licence and Australian Financial Services Licence compulsory responsible managers training, privacy training, regulatory updates and “Back to Basics” credit law, privacy, anti-money laundering and other training workshops.
Andrea is widely published and her authorships include 6 editions of the leading consumer law text ‘Annotated National Credit Code’ the most recent edition published in November 2019 by LexisNexis, the ‘Australia’ chapters in the ‘Consumer Finance Law Review’ and the ‘Banking Regulation Review‘ (The Law Reviews, Law Business Research Ltd UK).
Andrea is a member of numerous financial services professional associations.
Andrea Beatty is widely regarded as a solid practitioner in the payments space and on consumer protection issues. A client notes that she is “very easy to work with, has a pleasant demeanour and breaks complex things down into simple parts,” while another comments: “She is extremely knowledgeable and is respected by regulators.”
Chambers and Partners Asia-Pacific – Financial Services Regulation – Band 3 in 2021 edition
- Chambers and Partners Asia-Pacific – Financial Services Regulation – Band 3 in 2021 edition
- Best Lawyers in Australia – Recognised for Financial Institutions – Since 2012
- Best Lawyers in Australia – Recognised for Privacy and Data Security Law – Since 2012
- Best Lawyers in Australia – Recognised for Regulatory Practice – Since 2012
- Nominated for Euromoney Legal Media Group’s 2013 and 2014 for Australian Women in Business Law Awards for the Banking and Finance practice group
Recent deals and media coverage
- Top firms act as fintech start-up sells fast – Australasian Lawyer, 23 January 2019
- New fintech sector showcased by crypto acquisition – Lawyers Weekly, 3 January 2019
- Podcast: Blockchain’s role in anti-money laundering and counter-terrorism financing – Lawyers Weekly, 25 January 2019
- Piper Alderman brings in financial services team – Australasian Lawyer, 15 November 2018
- AFIA (Australian Finance Industry Association)
- Online Small Business Code of Lending Practice – Code Compliance Committee member
- Association of Compliance Professionals of Australia – Privacy Interest Group
- Australian Retail Credit Association
- Banking & Financial Services Law Association
- Financial Services Council
- Financial Services Institute of Australasia
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (Aus/NZ)
- Law Council of Australia – Member of the Privacy, Financial Services and Digital Commerce committees
12 October 2020