Tim is recognised as one of Australia’s leading workplace lawyers. He created and led Australia’s top boutique workplace law firm for more than a decade before accepting Piper Alderman’s invitation to join our practice. Tim has over 25 years’ experience in employment and industrial relations law.
Tim understands the commercial realities of business from the perspective of a business owner and adviser. This background enhances Tim’s provision of strategic advice to clients on employment and workforce matters. He is an experienced advocate and has represented employers in all relevant tribunals and courts.
Tim’s industry knowledge includes working with clients in publishing, agribusiness, health, hospitality, finance, retail, logistics, resources, government, professional services, transport, building & construction, social & community services and pharmaceutical industries. He frequently presents on workplace law topics, is a regular contributor to industry and legal publications and is sought by the media for comment on workplace law issues.
‘Tim Capelin is approachable, highly professional and provides exceptional client service. He is timely in his responses to both phone calls and written advice. He and his team deliver on pieces of work once briefed without multiple follow-ups unless necessary.’
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific: Labour and employment, 2020 edition – Testimonials
- Best Lawyers in Australia – Recognised for Health and Aged Care Law (Sydney, AU) – Since 2022 edition
- Best Lawyers in Australia – Recognised for Labour & Employment Law (Sydney, AU) – Since 2017 edition
- The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific – Recommended for Labour and Employment – Since 2003
- Lawyers Weekly Australian Law Awards – Finalist for Workplace Relations and Employment Team of the Year – 2016, 2017 & 2018
Recent deals and media coverage
- Mid-tier sheds light on flexible working policy – Lawyers Weekly, 4 September 2018
- Member, Australian Human Resources Institute (AHRI)
- Australian Labour Law Association
06 September 2021
Webinar Q&As: Employment Relations National Seminar Series – Casuals: The changes keep comingRead More
13 August 2020
The High Court has handed down its decision in Mondelez and good sense has prevailedRead More
29 April 2020
Webinar Q&As: Employment Relations National Seminar Series – Managing Mental Health in the WorkplaceRead More
29 April 2020
Employment Relations Podcast #10 – What tools does your business have in its kit to...Read More
31 March 2020