Simon is a respected corporate and commercial lawyer with extensive expertise on a broad range of transactional and advisory matters.
He acts for Australian and international corporations, fund managers, high net worth family offices and private clients.
He has been involved in many corporate projects including asset and share sales and acquisitions, equity capital raisings and diligence investigations.
He has drafted and negotiated a broad range of commercial documentation including Government funding agreements, supply contracts, commercial collaboration and alliance agreements, service agreements and licensing and distribution arrangements.
Having spent many years as a jackaroo and overseer on large pastoral station properties, Simon has developed a keen interest in agriculture and advises domestic and international agribusinesses on transactions across Australia. He also advises clients in not-for-profit, advanced manufacturing, energy and resources and education.
“We could not have received better legal advice and support than what we received from Simon and his team from Piper Alderman. They were available day and night, replying to all requests and queries in the timeliest of manners and allowed us to progress with confidence and surety of our position at all times.”
Client Testimony: Tourism Company – Chairman
- Best Lawyers in Australia – ‘Lawyer of the Year’ for Commercial Law (Adelaide) – 2018
- Best Lawyers in Australia – Recognised for Agriculture & Rural Affairs – Since 2012
- Best Lawyers in Australia – Recognised for Commercial Law – Since 2017
- Best Lawyers in Australia – Recognised for Corporate Law – Since 2018
- Best Lawyers in Australia – Recognised for Mergers & Acquisitions – Since 2018
- Doyle’s Guide – Preeminent Lawyer for Agribusiness – SA, 2016 to 2019
- Doyle’s Guide – Leading Lawyer for Commercial – SA, 2018 to 2019
- Doyle’s Guide – Leading Lawyer for Corporate – SA, 2017 to 2018
- Sunsuper-backed Discovery Parks acquires Top Parks branding and licence rights – April 2018
- Archstone Investment acquires majority interest of Bindaree Beef Group – September 2017
- Consolidated Australian Pastoral Holdings (CAPH) purchases four SAWA cattle stations in the Kimberley region – September 2017
- BBHO consortium all-Australian bid for S. Kidman and Co – October 2016
- Riverland’s innovative wine cluster project 100th Monkey Vignerons – June 2016
- Sundrop Farms pioneering greenhouse run on seawater and solar power – August 2016
- Almondco hulling and shelling upgrade at Lyrup in the Riverland – July 2015
- Director, Rural Business Support (incorporating Rural Financial Counselling Service SA/NT)
- Trustee, University College London Australia Gift Fund
- Trustee, Michell Bequest Foundation (University of Adelaide Faculty of Health Sciences)
- Inaugural Member, The University of Adelaide Business School, Agribusiness Advisory Board
- Member, PIRSA Women Influencing Agribusiness and Regions Reference Group
- Member, Agribusiness Australia Ltd
- Member, International Wine Law Association (Australasian Section)
- Member, Rural Media South Australia
24 February 2015
Agribusiness Alert – Tighter rules for foreign purchases of agricultural landRead More
13 November 2014
China outbound investment regulations and requirementsRead More
12 November 2014
Exporting food to the USA – upcoming regulatory changesRead More
02 December 2013
Government releases terms of reference for Agriculture White PaperRead More
01 November 2013
What is the current status of FIRB thresholds for purchases of agricultural land?Read More
14 November 2012