James is a corporate practitioner with significant experience in corporate transactions, corporate governance, directors’ duties and compliance with the Corporations Act, ASIC requirements and ASX Listing Rules. His practice has a strong focus on mergers and acquisitions, takeovers (both for bidders and targets), IPOs, other capital raisings and corporate structuring and reconstructions.
James also focuses on financial services, including financial services licensing, registered and unregistered managed investment schemes, PDSs and securities industry issues.
James also provides advice on corporate & commercial matters and advises high net worth individuals and businesses on appropriate asset protection structures and succession planning issues.
James is a former member of the Takeovers Panel, a fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors, a fellow of the Financial Services Institute of Australasia and a member of the Association of Corporate Counsel.
He is also recognised by The Best Lawyers in Australia for Commercial Law, Corporate Law and Mergers & Acquisitions.
‘James Dickson is a voice of calm assurance. He is also gracious in bringing in his expert colleagues in other areas of the practice when they have something to add.‘
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific: Corporate and M&A, 2021 edition – Testimonials
‘James Dickson is a stand-out partner due to his high level of legal expertise, commerciality and ability to deliver outcomes from complex situations involving multi-counter-party legal teams. He is highly accessible and his response times are quick which contributes to exceptional outcomes which has not been the case with other legal firms that I have dealt with/observed in practice. It is also helpful that he is passionate and dedicated to legal practice.’
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific: Financial services regulatory, 2022 edition – Testimonials
- Best Lawyers in Australia – Recognised for Commercial Law (Adelaide, AU) – Since 2014 edition
- Best Lawyers in Australia – Recognised for Corporate Law (Adelaide, AU)– Since 2021 edition
- Best Lawyers in Australia – Recognised for Mergers and Acquisitions Law (Adelaide, AU) – Since 2017 edition
- The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific – Recommended for Corporate and M&A– 2014 to 2022 editions
- The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific – Recommended for Financial services regulatory – 2022 edition
Recent deals and media coverage:
- People’s Choice Credit Unions sells financial planning business – Lawyers Weekly, 30 November 2021
- Auto company sells Tecalemit business – Lawyers Weekly, 21 July 2015
- Former Member, Takeovers Panel
- Fellow, Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Fellow, Financial Services Institute of Australasia
- Member, Association of Corporate Counsel
14 February 2022
Temporary measures made permanent: Corporations Amendment (Meetings and Documents) Bill 2021 passed by the SenateRead More
18 February 2021