James is a corporate practitioner with significant experience in corporate transactions, corporate governance, directors’ duties and compliance with the Corporations Act, ASIC requirements and ASX Listing Rules. His practice has a strong focus on mergers and acquisitions, takeovers (both for bidders and targets), IPOs, other capital raisings and corporate structuring and reconstructions.
James also focuses on financial services, including financial services licensing, registered and unregistered managed investment schemes, PDSs and securities industry issues.
James also provides advice on corporate & commercial matters and advises high net worth individuals and businesses on appropriate asset protection structures and succession planning issues.
James is a former member of the Takeovers Panel, a fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors, a fellow of the Financial Services Institute of Australasia and a member of the Association of Corporate Counsel.
He has also been recognised in the Best Lawyers ® listing since 2014 for Commercial Law and Mergers & Acquisitions since 2017.
“James worked closely with us ensure that the sale of [our company] was completed in a short space of time and in a manner that protected our interests. This was a significant deal for [our company] and its shareholders, but James showed a high level of expertise and knowledge in guiding us through each step of the process.”
Client Testimony: Software Company – Chief Technical Officer
- Best Lawyers in Australia – Recognised for Commercial Law – Since 2014 edition
- Best Lawyers in Australia – Recognised for Corporate Law – Since 2021 edition
- Best Lawyers in Australia – Recognised for Mergers & Acquisitions – Since 2017 edition
Recent deals and media coverage:
- Auto company sells Tecalemit business – Lawyers Weekly, 21 July 2015
- Former Member, Takeovers Panel
- Fellow, Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Fellow, Financial Services Institute of Australasia
- Member, Association of Corporate Counsel