Joe is an employment relations lawyer with over 20 years’ experience specialising in workplace relations at mid-tier and employer associations.
Joe’s experience extends to providing advice and representation in matters across Australian tribunals and courts, including the Fair Work Commission and the Federal Courts of Australia. Joe has also represented clients in various inquests and commissions of inquiry, including in the Independent Commission Against Corruption and various State Coroner’s Inquests and Inquiries.
Regular matters in which clients require Joe’s expertise, include redundancies, unfair dismissals, general protections (adverse action) claims, executive and complex dismissals and separations, discrimination claims, industrial disputes, managing long and short term injured workers, troublesome workers compensation claims, employee fraud, employee privacy and surveillance, investigations (including in connection with whistleblower complaints), and the defence of underpayment claims brought by employees, unions and the Fair Work Ombudsman.
Joe has extensive experience assisting clients with disputation between employers and their employees (whether dealing with employees collectively or individually).
Joe has spent the last 10 years working exclusively with businesses across a vast range of industries and sectors, including information technology, SaaS, retail, hospitality, transport, manufacturing, construction, social & community services, and financial services.
‘Joe Murphy’s strategic approach to litigation is second to none. Joe has a unique ability to predict his opponents’ actions and reactions well in advance, which gives his clients an incredible advantage when it comes to resolving matters whether it is by way of fast-paced litigation or settlement. Either way, he achieves excellent outcomes for his clients due to his ability to see beyond the immediate.’’’
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific: Labour and employment, 2020 edition – Testimonials
- Best Lawyers in Australia – Recognised for Labour and Employment Law (Sydney, AU) – since 2021 edition
- Doyle’s Guide – Leading Employment Lawyers (Employer Representation) NSW, 2021 – recommended since 2014
- The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific – Recommended Lawyer for Labour & Employment Law – since 2016 edition
- Lawyers Weekly Australian Law Awards –Workplace Relations and Employment Team of the Year in 2016, 2018 & 2019
- Lawyers Weekly Australian Law Awards – Finalist for Workplace Relations Partner of the Year in 2019
- Australasian Law Awards – Employment Specialist Firm of the Year in 2018
Recent deals and media coverage
- Mandatory vaccination a rising trend among employers, Piper Alderman reveals – Australasian Lawyer, 20 October 2021
- Piper Alderman adds employment relations partner – Lawyers Weekly, 21 April 2021
- Industrial Relations Society of New South Wales
18 August 2021